Re: Distributed agent implementation

From: Marc Lavine (mlavine@foundrynet.com)
Date: 10/01/02

    Peter,

    This looks fine. I agree that there's some extra overhead for collectors to
    track multiple sequence number streams, but hopefully, this won't be
    burdensome. Regarding the issue of a distributed agent implementation
    causing an increased number of sFlow datagrams to be sent, that would likely
    happen only when data rates are relatively low, such that non-full sFlow
    datagrams would be sent as a result of a timer tick. In the scenario that
    I'm thinking of, I believe things could be optimized to mostly avoid that,
    however, doing so might result in some samples being delivered out of order.
    Do you think that collectors should be prepared to deal with such cases by
    doing some buffering and reordering of out-of-order samples, or do you feel
    that's too much of a burden?

    Marc