RE: [traffic-management] sflowtool and MIB questions

From: Sonia Panchen <sonia.panchen@inmon.com>
Date: 10/05/04

Simone,

I think that the Foundry FES2402 with software version 03.0.01eTc1 supports
sFlow v2. This version of sFlow will work well with sflowtool and will
provide you with lots of useful information.

sFlow version 5 was published earlier this year and includes additional
features (see http://www.sflow.org/sflow_version_5.txt for details. You may
want to ask Foundry Networks about their plans to support sFlow v5.

You are correct that the awk sflow test script will only work with sFlow v5.
This is not because of the sFlow MIB, but because of some changes in the
sFlow datagram format. The sFlow MIB is optional and allows a switch to be
configured for sFlow via SNMP. I think that you could quite easily modfy the
awk test script to work with sFlow v2.

There is no problem with using the output of sflowtool to drive your own
customized parser. In fact this is to be encouraged! Perhaps you would like
to publish your parser to traffic-management@inmon.com and/or
sflow@sflow.org for others to use?

Best regards,

Sonia Panchen