Re: Problems migrating from netflow to sFlow: results are low

From: neil mckee <neil.mckee@inmon.com>
Date: 08/10/05

Christian,

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Most Foundry switches only sample inbound traffic on an
interface, so if you only enabled sflow on the uplink then you are
probably only seeing the traffic in one direction. To monitor both
directions you can just enable sFlow on all ports. Did you enable
netflow on all ports of the router above?

2. sflowtool does not aggregate samples together, even if they are
from the same flow. I don't know what program you are using to
populate the database, but you might want to check that if two flows
with the same key are entered then they end up being added together
(rather than the second one replacing the first).

3. It's helpful to check the frames counter as well as the bytes
counter. The frames estimates will converge faster for a given
sampling rate, and it is not subject to any differences in the way
that bytes are counted. For netflow export, sflowtool uses the ip-
len from the ip header to say how many layer3 bytes there were. If
your netflow source was reporting the bytes including layer2 headers
then there would be a sizable discrepancy. (There are also
different ways to interpret udp packets if they are larger than 1518
bytes and being fragmented at the IP layer.)

You might cross-check using another product (http://www.sflow.org/products/collectors.php).
Some of them are free downloads (e.g. sFlowTrend, ntop, pmccact).

regards,
neil