Comparison between sampled SFlow and Interface-Statistic

From: Alexander Czutka <aczutka@foundrynet.com>
Date: 08/07/07

Hello,

a customer of mine is complaining about the difference between the data
which he samples with SFlow and SNMP.

When he compares the amount of sampled SFlow-data against the value
which he is receiving via SNMP of the interface, there is a great
difference.

Now, I have done a test :

I put a single switch and transferred traffic between a client and a
server. Then I compared the amount of sflow-data with the
interface-values.

(I changed the polling and sampling interval to 1). There was a gap of
50 % when I transferred 500 Mbytes.

Is there a rule of dump between Interface-statistic and SFlow-data ?

Regards,

Alexander

  Foundry Networks GmbH

Alexander Czutka Phone: +49 (0)89 374 292
17

Post Sales Fax: +49 (0)89 374
292 60

Einsteinstrasse 14 Mobile: +49 (0)172 8998
517

D-85716 Unterschleissheim Email: aczutka@foundrynet.com

Germany
www.foundrynetworks.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of Alexander Czutka.vcf]