RE: one sample question

From: Peter Phaal <peter.phaal@inmon.com>
Date: 10/29/09

It's also worth pointing out that sFlow provides a mechanism for the agent
to attach additional information to sampled packet. Typically this will be
information about the forwarding decision (mpls tunnel, BGP destination AS
path, subnets, VLANs etc.), but additional structures are also defined to
allow the sFlow agent to export User ID's and URL's.

These application level fields are typically implemented when the sFlow
device is a participant in the application level protocol. For example, an
edge switch might be responsible for authenticating a user onto the network
(possible using RADIUS). In this case it can attach User ID information to
packet samples to or from a user's port. Similarly, a load balancer might be
aware of the URL associated with a packet stream and be in a position to
attach the URL structure to any sampled packets from the stream.

Each device has its own perspective on the network traffic and will only
contribute some of the extended information. However, sFlow is intended to
monitor all devices and all ports in the network. By combining information
contributed by each device, the central sFlow analyzer is able to build a
complete picture. For example, a core switch might not know the User IDs,
but when sFlow from the core switch is combined with sFlow from the edge
switches, a complete picture emerges.

Peter