RE: packet sampling point

From: Peter Phaal <peter.phaal@inmon.com>
Date: 10/21/09

You should use whatever sampling points are supported by the chip vendor. In
most realistic deployment scenarios there is very little difference between
sampling before or after the filter step.

If a sampled packet is going to be discarded by the switch, then it should
still be exported as an sFlow flow sample, but you should indicate the
discard in the flow_sample egress port field (using the format=1 packet
discarded code), see page 27 of the sFlow version 5 specification.

Make sure that the switch chip implements random 1 in N sampling as
described in the sFlow specification, other sampling schemes are not
permitted (time-based, hash-based etc).