RE: sFlow Datagram Extensibility

From: Peter Phaal (peter_phaal@inmon.com)
Date: 08/29/02

    Mark,

    I agree that improving the flexibility of the sFlow Datagram encoding would
    be a good idea.

    I have incorporated some of your suggestions into a couple of drafts to try
    and see what they would look like.

    http://www.sflow.org/SFLOW-DATAGRAM5.txt

    http://www.sflow.org/INMON-STRUCTS.txt

    It made sense to split the datagram document into two parts: the first
    document is a description of the overall datagram format, and the second
    contains detailed structure definitions for standard flow and counter data.

    As you suggested the datagram format now contains type and length
    information that will allow additional structures to be easily added.

    Additional comments below:
      It seems that this could cause considerable hassles for customers when
      upgrading agents and collectors as the standard evolves. To address
      this problem, it seems to me that the datagram format should be
      changed so that extended data types are preceded by a length field.

      I changed the flow data so that it is now represented as a list of
    flow_record structures. Each flow_record provides type, length and value
    information so that fields can be skipped easily.

      This would make them sufficiently self-descriptive that a collector
      could skip over any ones which are not known to it. There would be
      some additional space overhead in doing this, but I think it would be
      well worth the improved interoperability over the long term. I think
      it would be a good idea to apply this principle of making the data
      self-descriptive elsewhere as well. I think that counter samples
      should also have a length field added so that new types of counter
      samples could be added without breaking compatibility with existing
      collectors. (When I say "existing collectors" here, I mean those
      collectors which would support this new sFlow version being proposed.)
      If this length field is placed at the beginning of the counters_sample
      structure, then a corresponding length field can also be added to the
      flow_sample structure, which would then provide for the possibility of
      adding new sample types in the future while maintaining compatibility
      with existing collectors.

      I also changed the counter sample to represent counters as a list of
    counter blocks, each with a type, length and value. This would allow a
    collector to ignore counter blocks that it didn't understand. It also makes
    it easy for agent developers to add new counters.

      This mechanism allows you to add new counters to the basic set by defining
    a counter block for the additional counters. The agent would then report the
    basic set + the additional counters. If you need to define a full set of
    counters for a new media type then that would involve defining a larger
    counter block.

      Adding length fields to structures as I've described actually provides
      for two different types of extensibility. The first type of
      extensibility, which I referred to above, involves adding new
      structures, identified with new type tags (i.e. adding new branches to
      certain unions in the XDR specification of the sFlow datagram format).
      The second type of extensibility involves being able to extend the
      length of an already-existing structure in a way that need not break
      compatibility with collectors which understand an older version of
      that structure. As an example, let's say that a new field is
      identified that should belong in the extended_gateway structure.
      Rather than define a new extended data type just for this new field,
      it could simply be added to the end of the existing structure. Since
      the structure would include a length field, a collector can process
      the portion of the structure that it knows about, and skip over the
      rest.

      To ensure that changes are only made in a compatible fashion, the
      sFlow datagram specification can state that the self-descriptive
      structures may be extended in future revisions of the specification by
      adding fields to the end of the structures, and that no fields my be
      removed or reordered, and that such changes would only be made to
      structures which are not included within other structures (eliminating
      the generic if_counters structure as a candidate for this type of
      extensibility). It can also state that such changes would not require
      a change in the type tag associated with the structure, nor in the
      sFlow datagram version number.

      I don't think it is a good idea to allow existing structures to be
    extended. Different agent implementors might extend the structure in
    different, incompatible ways and a receiver of the data would not have
    enough information to determine how to decode the added fields.

      It seems that this problem is better solved as part of the vendor-specific
    extension capability - see below.

      There is a third type of extensibility that we also have a need for,
      and that is the ability to add vendor-specific extensions. While we
      certainly think it's good to standardize things that are common across
      vendor implementations, different vendors have various kinds of
      extensions, which are not standardized, and yet which could be very
      useful to include in sFlow samples (as long as someone will build a
      collector to utilize them, of course).

      To implement this, I propose that a new type tag or two be added to
      the list for the extended data types. These type tags would indicate
      vendor-specific extensions. The structures for these would include a
      length (as proposed above for all extended data type structures), and
      would have a vendor-assigned identifier which would indicate which
      type of content was present, and then actual content would follow.
      For the vendor-assigned identifiers, I propose two different options.
      For a vendor to be able to assign their own identifiers, these need to
      be constructed based on a globally-unique identifier. The two that
      come to mind are an IEEE OUI (Organizationally Unique Identifier),
      which appears as the first three bytes of a MAC address, and an SNMP
      enterprise OID. Most switch vendors are likely to already have one or
      both of these already assigned to them. The sFlow specification could
      support one or the other of these types of identifiers, or support
      both by defining two extended data types, one for use with each kind
      of identifier. As far as possible encodings, an OUI plus a single
      additional byte would fit in a single XDR unsigned int, while an SNMP
      OID would probably be reasonably compactly encoded as an XDR
      variable-length opaque field containing the ASN.1-encoded OID.

      I think that the SNMP enterprise OID is the better candidate since any
    network management agent writer is likely to have one already.

      The new counter_block and flow_record structures can be easily added
    without breaking backward compatibility. The combination of enterprise and
    format values creates a global name space for the opaque structures.
    Let me know what you think of the new documents. A big benefit of this new
    approach is that new flow/counter structures can be developed and deployed
    quickly without worrying about breaking existing applications. It also
    provides a convenient way of experimenting with new functionality.

    Regards,
    Peter

    PS I have also been looking at adding additional flow_record types. Included
    in the second document are additional flow records to report on MPLS and NAT
    data. Any suggestions on improving reporting in these areas are welcome.