Re: Configuration Parameters

From: Neil McKee (neil_mckee@inmon.com)
Date: 11/27/02

    The accuracy of an estimate improves with the number of samples taken. That
    is why the results are more accurate for an 800MB flow than they are for a
    20MB flow.

    If you set the samplingRate to 1-in-100 instead of 1-in-1000 then the
    accuracy for the 20MB flow should improve.

    If you are using the latest version of sflowtool (version 2.3), it should
    automatically scale the netflow output for you (unless you tell it not to
    with the -s option).

    You are correct that the packet-sampling approach means you are not looking
    in detail at each transmission. A sampling-rate of 1-in-1000 means that you
    are counting every packet but only decoding 1 out of every 1000. This may
    sound lazy :-) but it has some very desirable properties when embedded in
    switch ASICs. The samples from many switches can all be forwarded without
    delay to one analyser, which can then present both real-time and historical
    traffic views for the entire network - even if there are many thousands of
    links. The sampling protects the measurement system from ever being
    overloaded, so over time the results become more and more accurate.

    neil

    --
    Neil McKee, InMon Corp.
    tel: +1 (415) 661-6343