RE: sflow

From: Peter Phaal (peter.phaal@inmon.com)
Date: 11/24/03

    sFlow.org < http://www.sflow.org/> provides information about sFlow.

    It's pretty easy to try sFlow. There are a number of vendors with sFlow
    enabled switches and routers < http://www.sflow.org/products/network.php >
    and applications for collecting and analyzing sFlow <
    http://www.sflow.org/products/software.php >. There is also free sFlow agent
    and decoder source code < http://www.sflow.org/developers/tools.php > that
    will let you experiment with sFlow.

    For basic backgroup information on sFlow take a look at the "About sFlow"
    pages < http://www.sflow.org/about/ >.

    You asked whether sFlow was a suitable replacement for NetFlow. There are a
    number of technologies for monitoring traffic on networks, including: sFlow,
    RMON and NetFlow. Each approach has very different characteristics. The
    technology you choose will depend on your requirements. Some of the
    strenghts of sFlow include:
    * Layer 2 support: MAC addresses, vlans, priorities etc. Packets don't need
    to be routed to be monitored.
    * IPv6 support
    * High performance: wire-speed 10Gigabit sFlow implementations already
    exist.
    * Low cost: available in all classes of equipment, including inexpensive
    layer 2 switches.
    * Scalable: all ports in the network can be monitored continuously from a
    single point, presenting a network-wide view of traffic patterns.
    * Multivendor: industry standard (sflow.org)
    * Real-time: sFlow collector has central real-time view of traffic
    throughout the network.

    Peter