Re: Re[2]: about sFlow instance

From: neil mckee <neil.mckee@inmon.com>
Date: 08/26/05

Hello Kobayshi-san,

There is nothing to stop you from configuring two sampler instances
to send to the same collector. It is allowed. You could configure
each instance to send to a different UDP port (e.g. 6343 and 6344).
That way the collector can separate them easily. Otherwise it would
have to separate them using the samplingRate field (which is sent
with each flow-sample).

In terms of the sFlow MIB: you would do this by reserving two slots
in the sFlowRcvrTable. For example, say you want to double-monitor
interface 1, and send the data to a collector on 192.168.4.5, using
ports 6343 and 6344:

The receiver table might look like this:

sFlowRcvrTable
     sFlowRcvrEntry (sFlowRcvrIndex=1, sFlowRcvrAddress=192.168.4.5,
sFlowRcvrPort=6343)
     sFlowRcvrEntry (sFlowRcvrIndex=2, sFlowRcvrAddress=192.168.4.5,
sFlowRcvrPort=6344)

And the flow-sampling table might look like this:

sFlowFsTable
     sFlowFsEntry (sFlowFsDataSource=ifIndex.1, sFlowFsInstance=1,
sFlowFsReceiver=1, sFlowFsPacketSamplingRate=400)
     sFlowFsEntry (sFlowFsDataSource=ifIndex.1, sFlowFsInstance=2,
sFlowFsReceiver=2, sFlowFsPacketSamplingRate=1)

If your switch/router does not support multiple receivers and
multiple sampler instances, then you may have to just change the
sampling rate to 1 and do the sub-sampling at the collector instead.

regards,
neil